Public Works Crew Leader
The Streets Crew Leader is responsible for directing the work of a small crew in the construction, maintenance and repair of the City’s parks, streets and drainage easements. Duties include the operation of the street sweeper, backhoe, heavy roller, dump truck, water trailer, herbicide trailer, compact loader/ grader, or any other equipment as necessary. This position involves contact with the public, engineers, and contractors. The Streets Crew Leader/Equipment Operator receives general supervision in task performance and is expected to show good judgment in the completion of assigned work. The Streets Crew Leader is directly responsible for the safety of self and indirectly responsible for the safety of co-workers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Other duties may be assigned)
- Provides instructions for workers in the tasks to be performed;
- Obtains tools, materials and supplies needed to perform work;
- Installation and maintenance of streets, alleys, drainage ditches, city parks and other facilities;
- Installs traffic control devices (signs and pavement markings);
- Direct traffic following safety protocol in construction zones;
- Operates heavy and light duty equipment (compact loader/ grader, excavator, paver etc)
- Crack seals city streets;
- Repair of fences, gates, walls and concrete sidewalks;
- Maintenance of City common areas with weed eaters or power mowers. Trims trees, hedges, bushes, and walkways;
- Reports on the progress of work and makes estimates on how long the work will require for completion;
- Preventive maintenance routinely performed on vehicles and equipment, report any repairs necessary to vehicle maintenance;
- Checks work for completeness and conformance to specifications;
- Loads and unloads various trucks and trailers;
- Trains new workers in the use of tools or equipment;
- Promotes on-the-job safety;
- Maintains a daily log of chemicals utilized, location of use and all relevant information;
- Maintains inventory of all chemicals and other needed supplies;
- Maintain license’s by keeping current with necessary CEU’s (Continuing Education Units);
- Complete work orders on daily basis;
- Rotating “On Call” standby duty required for weekend coverage of City parks and streets and also for emergency conditions;
- Performs other necessary duties and fulfills responsibilities as required by the Director of Public Works.
- The City expects all employees to be customer-service oriented and to work cooperatively and pleasantly with other City employees and with the general public.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Employee(s) are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments to the employee.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in leading crews effectively.
- Experience in heavy equipment operation.
- Two (2) or more years of experience as a laborer performing varied construction and maintenance work.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles, practices and methods of street construction and repair.
- Knowledge of the proper and safe operation of a variety of toxic substances.
- Knowledge about the operation of tools and equipment commonly used in streets construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of safety standards and practices.
- Skill in effectively assigning work to a small group of workers and managing the progress of the work assigned to ensure completion.
- Ability to make decisions regarding appropriate levels of chemicals and other needed supplies.
- Ability to pass exams and obtain licenses as required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work overtime on demand when required.
- Ability to cover 24 hour, 7 days per week rotating standby duty. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must have a valid Texas Commercial Driver License (CDL) or have a Class “C” Texas Driver License and must obtain a Texas Commercial Driver License (CDL) within one year of employment.
- Must have an acceptable driving record.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to operate large and small mechanical equipment, reach with hands and arms, drive vehicles, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, kneel, crouch, climb, twist, reach, push and pull; and the employee may be required to lift, carry and/or move objects weighing 10-25 lbs. frequently and up to 100 pounds occasionally. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working conditions are primarily outside with exposure to temperature variations; occasional exposure to hazardous chemical irritants, noxious odors and fumes sometimes requiring the use of protective breathing apparatus.
This position has frequent contact with City employees, citizens, engineers and contractors; is required to interact with employees at other agencies and organizations; and must remain calm and professional in tense, emotionally charged, and stressful situations. The employee may face difficult and stressful situations; and may be required to work under time pressures to meet deadlines, to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, to change tasks frequently, to perform tedious and exacting work, and to work closely with others as part of a team. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time benefits eligible position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., but this position’s work schedule is subject to change depending on the needs of the department and the City. Evening and weekend work are also required as needed. Overtime is required upon demand. Must be available for rotating 24 hours, 7 days per week, standby duty.
An employee in this position is required to drive a vehicle to complete daily work assignments, attend various meetings, functions, and events. May be required to travel out of town to represent the City at meetings and conferences and for training.
If a conditional offer of employment is received, employment is contingent upon receiving acceptable results from the required pre-employment physical exam, drug/alcohol test and background investigation.
How to Apply
An Application for Employment must be completed. Applications may be completed online at www.cityofjoshuatx.us, picked up in person 7:30 am – 5:30 pm Monday – Thursday and Friday 8:00am-12:00 pm (excluding holidays) at the City of Joshua Municipal Building, 101 South Main ST, Joshua, TX 76058.
Public Works Crew Member
Public Works Crew Member is responsible for assisting in maintenance and repair of city streets, drainage cleaning, and building and grounds maintenance.
High School Diploma or GED required. Valid Class C Texas driver’s license required. Class B CDL. Some construction-related experience is preferred. Knowledge of backhoe, crack sealer, dump truck, front-end loader, jackhammer and various hand tools. Starting pay $25,252/annually.